Life and stuff

Last weekend Patrick was out of town so it was up to me to entertain the kids. I can't really participate at the skate park. There is such a thing as being so far out of your element that its painful for everyone. We decided to head to a museum with some friends to do a little art project. Much more my style. 
We had a good time and got to explore a bit of the city. Here are the boys down by the river walk. It really is pleasant there.
We did etchings on foam, painted over it and then pressed it onto paper. It's simple and fun. I think its going to be perfect for some father's day cards too. So Im really glad we went.


This is what happens when the nutella is all gone. Talk about depression! I really thought we brought a lot with us but apparently our consumption has increased dramatically.
Or maybe its because boys who didn't used to eat it, now consume it like water.  It is so expensive to buy here too. But that doesn't seem to stop us. We buy it and eat it, buy and eat. It's lovely.

I don't even know what to say about this next picture. Ronin was playing pirate. I really am surprised he is still so much into dressing up and role playing. I am glad. But when he does something like this you really have to wonder. He loved his spiky hair.

One of the things about Singapore is that their kids do seem to stay innocent for longer. You see teenagers playing on the playground and the boys and girls keeping to the buddy system even when they aren't in school. This next picture is of Ronin holding hands with Lorenzo. It's what they do when they travel anywhere. Either in school our out. I have even noticed older kids still sticking to it when I am sure it is abandoned in primary school. I love seeing it for some reason. Maybe as proof that kids can still be young. There is no way you would see this happening in 2nd grade in NY. In fact I remember last year a kindergarten friend of ours kept trying to hold Ronin's hand as we left the bus stop. Ronin wouldn't have anything of it. He even kept giving me this look like, "what is he doing?" But here it is standard so he doesn't even question it. And I'm glad.
Ronin has another little friend who has a cell phone and can SMS (text) like a pro. Patrick has been so concerned about Ronin falling behind the technological curve because he doesn't have these things. Something I don't really understand his opinion on the matter. I can see why he wants them to keep up with the world, especially so they can get good jobs in the future, but I really don't see why a 2nd grader would have need of a phone or iTouch and why I would want to give one to my own child. I am sure he will get it all soon enough. For now I just want him to play, have fun and hold hands with his buddy. I want him to stay innocent for a bit longer because the real world is a long, hard road. No need to grow up too fast.

Comments

Popular Posts