Ronin's School

Well, this whole "getting into public school" thing is going to take a looooong time. If it happens at all this year. And because of that we have formulated and initiated a new plan. Ronin has a tutor. Her name is Ms. Jolene. Let me just say, she is pretty spectacular! She has come twice and already I love her. She is open and easy to talk to. She has just the right level of sternness and kindness that Ronin needs and she is prepared to teach him so many things and best of all, he is learning!
We have set him up at the kitchen table so far. Once we get real desks in the office we will move them, because it's pretty obvious Ms. Jolene does not like being interrupted by the other kids, no matter how cute they are. Today Ronin started his Chinese lessons. Which is reading, writing and memorizing words. She has tested him in English already and said he will be great in that subject when he does actually get into school. In fact she said he will be at the top of the class since his first language is English unlike all the rest of the students. The irony of that is that back in the states it wasn't his strongest subject. He has his first math lesson tomorrow so we will find out how he fares in that. He has always been pretty strong at math. It only takes him a bit to understand the concept. But once he has it visualized, its there to stay. Here's hoping.
Ms. Jolene bought us some posters of basic Chinese words and the vowel sounds. We now have them up in the dining room so we can practice the sounds and words every night at dinner. I have a feeling once Patrick isn't here to have dinner with us, this practice is going to go by the wayside. Have I told you yet that my desire to learn Chinese is waning?? Well, I'll just put it out there now, ok. But for now, I am happy and optimistic. Especially since the boys both have a great desire to learn Chinese. There is just something in them that I hope doesn't leave. I think that above anything else will be their greatest asset in learning the language.
Ronin's homework is all about writing the characters. Chinese has a character for every word and even then some characters don't translate correctly so I guess you kind of fudge it in some areas? I don't get it, but I am sure I will some day! He was told to be very neat and tidy. Something that is not his strong suit. One of the things they worked with him on in NY was his fine motor skills to help him with his writing. I think this Chinese will do the trick just as well because it is very intricate and they are sticklers for neatness and accuracy. I think it will also help him with his drawing. And what I really hope he gets out of it all is the structure and discipline that we seem to be lacking both as parents and homework helpers.
Here is his first page of homework. These are basic words like head, toe, teeth and such. I guess there is no way to do it, but to dig in, so that's what they have done! I kept thinking it was too much for him to learn in one sitting, but once again Ms. Jolene obviously knows what she is doing. I'm excited for him to be learning and I think for now, having a private tutor is the best way for him to get the attention and help he needs.

The tutoring company (which is called "Tuition" here) and Ms. Jolene are very concerned that we were going to put him straight into school without prepping him for the rigors of Singapore school life. I originally brushed it off thinking that Ronin can handle it, which he can. But over all I do think they are right. We are going to do this for two months and hopefully by the end he will have a school to go to and an understanding of Chinese. Plus a taste of the Chinese teaching style and the confidence to go to school without much anxiety. Although I do think the longer he is out of a structured school setting the harder its going to be for him to get back into it. But one thing at a time for now. My anxiety level rises every time I think of what he is missing out on or how we are short changing him. But luckily I have Patrick to talk me off the ledge, which he does more than once a day.

So for now we need to worry about his socialization and I think we can manage life until things change. So its homework time for Ronin and a "taekwando" google search for mom. Hopefully when we all look back on these experiences we will be able to see that they have changed us each for good. I hope these boys are stronger, wiser and braver than they maybe would have been. Or the alternative is that they will break down and cease to function. Which would be very bad. Usually it's at this point where I just pray hard and hope for the best. I am sure it will all turn out fine. Just *breathe*

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ronin we are so proud of you! Your Chinese characters look awesome! It looks like you are working very hard. Thanks for letting Grandpa come and be with you. He tells us such fun things he got to do with your family! Keep working hard. We LOVE you!
G & G in Utah

Popular Posts