Halloween 2013

Well, this year's Halloween festivities were much different than the crazy condo fiasco from last year. We  have a lot of people in our ward that live in the Woodlands which is the northern most part of Singapore (aka: "Little America")
In the Woodlands there are mostly houses. Some with small yards and all with car park areas great for decorating and trick or treating. We invited ourselves up to a friends house so we didn't have to brave the condo elevators stuffed full of screaming children. We are so glad we did. You could walk the streets and see people in costume. There were still some houses that had so many people you had to queue up for candy, but since I didn't have to do it personally, it was quite relaxing for me. Much more so than last year.

Ronin went as Minecraft guy. I don't actually know his name. But Ronin found the YouTube video showing how to make the costume. It was just up to mom to actually make said costume. It turned out pretty good considering.
 I think Cache may have wanted to go as a minecraft guy too but he wanted to be different than his brother so he opted as a ninja fighter. Thank heaven we have all those karate outfits! We found these cool plastic bags from the dollar store. I copied some images found online and cut them out with black vinyl. They are definitely the least messy bags we have ever made. They do leave some killer fingerprints though.
 Ronin's head was a big box and of course was too big so he had to carry it around a lot. I guess I cut the eye holes too small too so he didn't wear it much. Too bad. It's hard when your mom has to make your halloween costume ; (
 Cache was happy to show Levi the ropes of trick or treating. Levi's costume was so awesome... If  only he would have worn it! He was supposed to be Huck Finn. I figured a kid who hates to wear shirts would really hate it if he had to wear an actual costume so I thought of something he could be where clothes were optional. I tried to get him to wear a vest and hat, but he wasn't falling for it. I don't blame him. It was SO hot and sweaty. So really his Huck Finn costume looked exactly like he looks every day.

 The streets were filled with people! It was like a street festival with tons of people milling around. The Singaporeans came out to see what all these crazy foreigners were doing. A lot of the teenage kids got involved and dressed up but I think the adults thought we were nuts. They say there are more and more Singaporeans participating each year. I guess Halloween will soon be a thing here too. One family gave out 2500 pieces of candy in 2 hours last year and they said there were even more people participating this year.
I went as a pirate this year. Or as I like to call it, "wearing all the big jewellery you can find in your closet" costume. So I guess you could say I looked a lot more like Johnny Depp doing his impression of Keith Richards.
 Kai was all dressed up in his Spiderman costume but when he got to our friends house and saw the enormous toy room (seriously, as big as our apartment, stuffed with toys and games) he decided to stay and play. We were gone a good hour or so and he was there by himself (and a babysitter too.. come on people!) When we got home he was happy to share in the spoils that his brothers were willing to give. (He is pulling the weirdest fake smile with chocolate in his teeth... kinda creepy.)
 Here's all the boys and some friends trading around their candy. It was the funnest part. The big boys did this for the next few days with each other. I would hear them in their rooms talking about their favorites and what they were willing to trade things for. So cute and nice to hear something other than fighting!
 It's all crap candy, in my opinion. We don't get mini candy bars or malt balls here. It's only Asian or Australian candy. Nothing good and nothing really chocolate! Which is good for me since I didn't have the urge to steal one piece from anyone's bag. That's a serious improvement from previous years. Something I am secretly grateful to Singapore for!
 We had a fun Halloween and were glad we got to experience a bit of Little America. We miss the big one sometimes.  I don't ever recall trick or treating in heat before. It's only ever been cold and sometimes snowy! So that was a new one for us. All in all a fun night. We liked the Woodlands but its just so. far. away. 30 minutes in a taxi with 4 kids! Definitely the start of a bad bad joke.
We got the kids in bed by 10pm and they were a complete mess. Crying, whining, tantrums and fighting. All in the 10 minutes from the cab to their beds. It was the most exhausting part of the night!
But with all that said, I would still do it next year. Happy Halloween!!




Comments

Popular Posts