Greece: Meteora

Ok, ok, I will say it one last time.... this was another of our favorite places!
Meteora is this town where centuries ago monks built monasteries up on gigantic cliffs. They have stayed there ever since, away from society in service to their God. Here are a few of my favorite peeks into one of the monasteries.

The winery:

The rustic kitchen: I wanted to take every one of these pieces home with me. I love love loved this place. Didn't want to leave it.
The martyrs tomb: This totally creeped me out, but apparently they keep the skulls of any monk that dies a martyr. And they have had quite a bloody history....

It was amazing that the one day we were in Meteora was the one day where fog rolled in and covered every inch of the cliffs which blocked all views of the monasteries, hillsides and even the town. There are 6 monasteries and we got this one shot because within 10 minutes you couldn't see ten feet out in front of you. It was as if you could jump into nothing and float on clouds forever. And of course all the locals said it never happens! Only with us I guess. Needless to say we were really bummed out and plan on taking another trip there to experience it in all its grandeur.

Comments

Popular Posts