Summer Recap: The Garden

I do realize summer is oooover, but there are a few things that we did that need to be documented.
First item.... The Garden. This is what it looked like this time around. Completely unruly pushing the boundaries of 'eyesore'.

So I ordered the Square Foot Gardening book and we got started to be sure next years harvest is more streamlined and successful. Patrick and Ronin built the boxes. (I dropped one on Ronin's toe which was baaaad. He screamed and cried "What did you do that for Mom?" Boy did I feel horrible! He still has blood under his nail and periodically asks me how long it will be there. Makes me feel bad all over again.
I put a light natural stain on the outside of the boxes just to make them look nicer and to help them weather a bit better.
And then we got to installing them. This took a lot of time. Mostly because it was a big job! Plus you have to factor in weather and rocks in the dirt (our yard has a TON of them). And you only have one day in any given weekend to get it done and that is only if there isn't a birthday party, ward thing or other responsibility that takes precedence. So needless to say its been a long process and really isn't quite they way I want it yet, but for the first season it will be fine.
Malachi got in on all the action too. Boy that kid loves dirt and rocks:
Mmmm crunchy.
After getting them all in, I filled them with a mix of compost and such and planted some garlic. They are sprouting already! I now realize it took up one entire box and I have so many other things that I want to plant so I need to be careful with my spacing. There will be a few more boxes for the front yard and hopefully a lovely garden next summer. I can hardly wait! Just counting the days until it is warm again. And considering how warm it actually gets, I never never thought I would be wishing for it. But gardening is just so much fun. ; )

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow! You have been busy! They look great. It will be fun to see the "fruits" of your labors! G in Utah

Popular Posts