Gardening Bliss



Our first domestic project of the move (besides un-packing, cleaning, dishes, laundry...) was some gardening. Now is the time to plant bulbs for spring (someone told me) so we got down to it. Here is Ronin with his gardening tools, ready to help. Note the ice cream scoop and panini grill drip cup. I was too cheap to get him his own real gardening equipment. This is also one of the first times I have coaxed him to get out of his jammies this week, and it only lasted 15 minutes. He said he was "tired of this game." 
Well, it's not a game son, its our life now.


Here is a view from our garage. Just beautiful this time of year. I had raked leaves the night before (yes, in the scary dark) and we had to get them in bags which are still sitting waiting for our trash day, whenever that may be.  I really thought we would have a lovely day playing in the leaves, laughing and being a fun, perfect fall-ish family, but that didn't happen. And as you can see, I have the pictures to prove it. The boys decided to go back in the house climb up to the kitchen table and eat while they watched me work. Very nice of them. I have raised them well.
Here is what I finally finished after (read closely) 3 whole days!! It took FOREVAH!  This little measly strip that was once weeds and grass that lines our sidewalk. 3 days!?!?! Mostly it was the chicken wire which I couldn't find at the Astoria Home Depot (go figure) and finally found it at the local HD just today. Those little squirrel-ies like to eat the bulbs (who knew?) and you have to cover them with chicken wire and pin it down and then all the while I was digging out SO many rocks  (am I whining yet?) which took a lot of time and a lot of muscle. But, after all that, I used them to line the strip and it added some nice interest that in the end was free. 

Then I covered it with a rubber mulch cause the local HD didn't have anything else. The season is over ya' know. So hopefully next spring we will have lovely pictures to share of tulips, hyacinths and other flowers that I may have planted, and I just don't remember. I can't wait. I just love surprises. Sorry about this horrible picture too, since I took it at night. You really can't tell what you are looking at. I guess you will just have to visit and see it for yourself!



Here is Baby Cache kickin' it on one of our last finds in the city. Our friend scored it on the street the day we left and gave it to us. I'm thinking if it still works and it was found during the day, it wasn't really given up to trash, it was more like lost and we took it. 
I have some guilt, but it's a fun little bike, and I just hope whoever "found" Ronin's superman doll last year is having as much fun with it as we are with this bike. That's what's great about the city. Everything left unattended is up to whoever grabs it the fastest.



Comments

Kage said…
Good use of the rocks.

Gardening: a new exercise regime?

stolen bike: once during a yard sale a friend of mine SWORE a Louis Vuitton purse was being thrown out...she found it placed near some other items that appeared to be moving locations....not sure if she was right about that....

Big Sis had that contraption to help her learn to walk, so let's pretend it originated with her and got passed around NYC and landed with you.

Popular Posts