Errands Singapore Style


Running errands in Singapore can get exhausting for me. I don't necessarily think it's because I don't have a car. But maybe it is. Of course that is something I will never know!
Because running errands takes so much time due to traffic in a cab or relying on \ public transport, I isually try to piggy back my errands with other outings.
Wednesdays I usually pick child #1 up from school because he has after school tutoring. So usually I leave early to run errands and then pick him up afterwards.

Today's outing was regular. Nothing crazy happened. I went a little something like this:

Leave 1.5 hours early to ensure enough errand running time.
Still too late to catch the right bus.
Can't get a cab on the street so after 10 minutes of waiting I take a differnt bus that will take me to the MRT (subway).
I ride a few stops to the station nearest the school. I walk to the mall just down the street from the school. I walk around the mall to the ATM located outside and stand in line for a good 5 min.
I go inside the mall to the third floor to the toy store. I make a mad dash to the play dough section. We are fresh out.
I walk to the school before it's let out to pay the school fees which somehow keep going unpaid due to bank issues. Last time I paid fees it took me over 30 minutes. I had exactly that before Ronin got out and wanted to hurry to get it done. It took approximately 5 minutes to realize that I brought the wrong check book! (Remind me again why I have more than one??)
Now I find myself with 30 minutes to spare. I walk back to the mall to the Wendy's for a sit down and a frosty float (I'm tired and sweaty!)
I enjoy surfing the web and slurping my soda. I finish in time to pick up food for the kid and walk back to the school right as kids are oozing out of the front gate.
I wait for what seems like forever (I'm sure just 10 min) before realizing Ronin is hiding from me as a joke and is standing right behind me (embarrassing!)
We hail a cab from the street and drive to the tutor's house.
I get to sit on her couch and wait the hour until he is done. I pick a book off her shelf and start to read. It's the first time I have picked up a book in over a week. (Since the last time I was there)
We take a cab home because the last thing I want to do is take a bus and then another bus and be home over an hour later.
All other 3 kids are at home and waiting for me. They pounce the second I walk on the door. Questions about where I have been (same place every Wednesday!) They shout share stories about lost toys, mean brothers, time outs and missed naps. Exclamations are made about food to eat, iPads to play and homework to be done! All I can do is sit. still. for a moment. And then I can breathe again.

Today was a good day. Simple and regular. But even still, sometime's it's just exhausting running errands Singapore style.

Comments

Popular Posts