Unsupervised Children

Ok, so this post is not really intended for anything other than documenting the craziness of these boys I live with. I am SO embarrassed to actually write these things down but they are kind of hilarious in a way, so I have to do it.

Today has been long. Last night we all went to bed WAY too late and got up today WAY too early. Did a bunch of things and needless to say both Patrick and I were exhausted. Somehow we both managed to fall asleep in the middle of the day. But of course the boys were still awake. Lets just say it was for a lot longer than anyone would dare leave their children unattended. There was some screaming when the boys were fighting over some suckers (I remember that part). But mostly there was silence. I woke up to Ronin saying "MOM, Cache is in the street!" I jumped up (of course!) and went out to find Cache who was actually not in the street (thank goodness!) but with the neighbor gardening. Who knows how long that had been going on. She was so wonderful to have watched and played with the kids. And apparently Ronin even told her that "mom and dad were asleep."  (SO embarrassing!)

So at least she knows the kind of parents she is dealing with ; ) It was a gorgeous day today and I am so sad that I was too lazy to enjoy it. After a nice walk through the neighbors yard talking about plants we had a few enjoyable moments as a family, tried to get a few things done (which didn't happen!) and eventually it was night time. Both kids have been high on summer all day (it was 80 deg!). Running in and out without shoes, eating dirt, snot running down their face all with the sweet smell of hyacinths in the air. Its was truly beautiful. 

Tonight as we were getting them ready for bed, Ronin handed me a used water bottle and said, "Look Mom, I peed in this bottle!" And yes, as I looked there was a lot of yellow liquid swishing in the bottom. And he was TOTALLY proud of himself for that. He said its just like when the doctor asks you to do it. So somewhere today in the action, there was a 4 yr. old peeing in a water bottle. I told him it was gross and he should never do it again and then raced upstairs laughing to tell Patrick all about it. (what kind of parents are we?!?!?!)

In the meantime, Cache was brushing his teeth. When I returned (in less than a minute) he was screaming at me (another fun addition to life) and a big soap bubble came out of his mouth. Apparently he was brushing his teeth with SOAP! He coughed and sputtered and we had to douse him with water. UGH! When will it end? At every turn there is something new to be dealt with. Honestly I never thought I would be the mom to say "What will they get into next!?" And I am sure he will be feeling that soap in his tummy come tomorrow. 

So what I have come to realize is that whether I am a lazy bum and sleeping or just upstairs for a moment, these boys will get themselves into a heap of trouble and have so much fun doing it. I am just so grateful for a neighbor who is kind enough to watch children she doesn't really know and not complain to social services in the process. And I am grateful for children who love to explore and haven't died doing it.  These boys are crazy, intense and so much fun.

Now if we can make it through the rest of our lives, it will be a miracle.

Comments

Heather said…
Ok Klars...this post made us laugh so hard! Those boys are hilarious.
Kage said…
I hate the little thing LOL...but it's true. I did laugh out loud reading this.
Kimberly said…
I can be in the SAME ROOM and Sinjin is getting into trouble without me knowing it. Heaven help me if there is ever a number two to complicate things! Your boys are adorable and excel at being boys! Gotta love them.
Sara said…
I know it may seem awful but I laughed my way through this post. Especially the part about Ronin peeing in the bottle - that is truely classic :) Gottt love boys, right?
Jen said…
I laughed so hard too! I love how you scolded him and then ran to tell Patrick. I totally do that too...and then wonder if my parents just "acted mad" a lot too.
Anonymous said…
I'm still laughing!! And yes there are miracles!! You'll probably need alot of them!! Love, G in Utah
Beth said…
I love this post. !!!!! So cute.

Popular Posts