Kid Conversations

Earlier this year when Ronin asked me if Santa was real, I just couldn't look into his bright blue eyes and paint up a lie, so I told him the truth. Santa ain't real babe. It seemed to be what what he was expecting, but he continued to tell me about all the people in his life that say Santa IS real. So I kind of let it drop, with the explanation that Santa is a wonderful thing to believe in and it helps us be charitable to others. We also discussed that there will be many kids that still believe and we shouldn't ruin it for them. Today he told me about a conversation they had at school:

Ronin: "So Frankie, Mikey, and Paula were having a discussion about Santa and if he is real or not. They asked me if I believed in Santa and I said 'I can't be in this situation right now' and I walked away."

I laughed right out loud when he told me this today. He used those actual words an was obviously worried about ruining Santa for his friends. Very cute.


Ronin also asked me a few days ago why we didn't circumcise Malachi. Without really using all of those words, but I did get what he meant. I tried to explain it a bit without giving the actual answer, which is I was just too lazy to send him into the nursery to have it done. I did tell Ronin that I wish I would have done it so that Malachi would be the same as his brothers and this is what followed:

Ronin: "Do you think people will make fun of him?"

Me: "No I don't think so. Most people won't ever know."

Ronin: "Well, he is cute and my brother so I will love him even though he is different."

Me: *heart melts*



And of course the week wouldn't be complete without a discussion with Cache about his feelings for me.

Me: Cache, why don't you close your eyes when we pray? You do it for your primary teacher."

Cache: "Well, I don't like you. I only like Daddy."

Me: "You don't like me?!?!? That really hurts my feelings. Why do you like daddy and not me?"

Cache: "Because Daddy answers my questions."

Me: "I don't answer your questions?! What do I do?

Cache: "I ask a question and you say 'What?' and then I ask a question and you say 'What?' again (pronounced A-Den) and then I ask you a question and you say 'What?' again.

Me: *sigh* (Some mommies can never win.)

Comments

Kage said…
I love the first one the best. And I can't lie either, so I answer a question with a question: What do you think? I'm open to the truth, but I also like pretending around the Santa thing, so when they answer: I think YES, then I can't help but say "I do too."
Beth said…
Aw, that last conversation with Cache is killer. Tyler does that to Adam. He says "you're not nice daddy. mommy is nice but you're not nice". We've figured out that it usually happens when Adam is busy at work and not around. But I think Audrey might be my Cache. Pretty sure I do the "what?" to her a lot. We're doing good jobs though mama.... these are good kids. We can only try to notice these things more and keep pluggin' ahead, right?

Popular Posts