Easter 2013

One thing we really missed the first year we were here, was all the American holidays. New Year's was a bust since we had only been here two days. Valentine's and St. Patrick's were not even registered. In fact, that was kind of nice because there wasn't all the consumerism to deal with (and what is St. Patrick's Day for anyway? And excuse to die your breakfast green and pinch strangers? And thats not even accounting for the binge drinking, that I never understood either.) We missed the 4th of July which was tragic for me, and barely coped with Halloween since candy here is ridiculous. The kind you can get AND the price for it. Just depressing if you ask me. It was about Christmas time that I finally woke up and pulled it together. And Christmas was nice! So I promised myself I would do better this year with the holidays. Patrick and I walked out to the pier for the fireworks coming from Marina Bay and the flares from the boats waiting for the shipping yard. Valentines was met with goodie bags and hand made felt hearts! St. Patrick's day we still skipped, mostly because it was on a sunday and the other reasons as stated above. So comes Easter! Whew, what a long explanation for something so simple!



 We decided to gather with a few friends and BBQ it out. You know, its never a proper get together unless you add BBQ an the pool. So we were all looking for easter egg in our suits.

We had a really nice time. It was good to get together with our friends and their kids. Something about family togetherness just makes my heart sing! 


The older the big boys get, the fewer pictures I get of them. But that's normal, right? 
They were off playing with friends and climbing trees for the harder to reach eggs. 
One of the things I learned about Easter here is its better to buy the plastic eggs in the states (for .99c a bag) and bring them back since they were $15 a bag here! for 10!  That's just highway robbery, if you ask me.

I'm feeling much more settled here with the addition of these holidays. I'm realizing more and more what a big deal they are. Not the holiday per se, but what it does for the family. And excuse to get together and celebrate something. A reason for fun and laughter. The kids love it and I love it. Plus, you don't realize how well it helps you track your days and months. The first year here was such a blur. The days were SOOOOO long but the months flew by. Partly because I was in a "moving house" stupor and partly because the weather here never changes. You need the markings of holidays to remind you that time is moving on and you better sit down and enjoy it for a spell. That's what this Easter was for me. Enjoyable time with my kids and new friends that make up my family away from hom.


Comments

Popular Posts