Lake Placid

We convinced our good friend Kage to let us tag along with her on a job she was doing at Lake Placid in the Adirondack Mountains these last few days. The hotel we stayed at was up on the hill and this was the amazing view from our balcony. Just breathtaking right? The air was amazing!

The name Adirondack is Indian for "bark eater" or "they eat trees." Apparently when food was scarce the Algonquians ate their fill of the inside of the bark of white pines. That would make for a tough winter. 
Everywhere we turned there were Adirondack chairs. I never knew what the big deal was about these things, but BOY are they comfy. The local playground was full of them as was every porch, yard and open sidewalk space. It made waiting around for the boys so nice.
We met some nice locals at the playground and took a spin on all the fun toys.
Ronin just about bounced his way off this seasaw.  This playground is attached to Mirror Lake which is adjacent to Lake Placid. (Nothin' like our local park!) The guy in the back was metal hunting in the water. It was like 50 deg. too. 
We visited a local maple syrup farm and this cabin was were they sold all their goods. There was not a single person in sight. It is to-date the only "self serve" shop I have ever been in to. I guess they really trust each other up north. I picked up some syrup, pancake mix and preserves (and actually left my money in a basket) and we really enjoyed playing around the farm. In the 1/2 hr. we were there we only saw 2 other people, and they were both customers. I wonder who runs the place. 
I loved the color of these flowers that were so delicately growing on the hillside of the church. Right after I took this Cache plucked off each flower. Darn kids. They never know beauty when they see it.
Mirror lake down the hill from the church. I guess you can see how it got it's name. We had such a wonderful time and were in awe at the beauty New York has to offer. We had a great time with Kage in the small moments she wasn't working her buns off. Thanks for letting us tag along!!! 

Comments

Kage said…
I'm so glad you posted this...and I never made that whole adirondack chair connection....
Anonymous said…
Hi,

As another person who loves Lake Placid and the High Peaks Region of the ADK, I'm so glad you got to go experience it!

Also, those plentiful and gorgeous red flowers are called Indian Paintbrush. They used to grow all over my grandmother's fields outside of Saranac Lake.

I hope you get a chance to go back sometime!

~LB
Kage said…
LB, I went to LP with Kristie and on the way to set I passed Saranac many times...
Kristie Larsen said…
LB-
I can't wait to come back and visit! The locals are what made it so wonderful to be there. Everyone was so nice and those flowers are to die for. Maybe I should come see your grandmother!
Jen said…
Can you imagine a "self-service" bodega in New York? Looks like you had a really fun trip!
Jed Eastman said…
Love the pics. Beautiful! My jealousy overcomes me. We have to get a stinkin' car already.
Anonymous said…
What a beautiful and peaceful place. You were lucky to have been there! G

Popular Posts